Learn Python The Hard Way
This simple book is meant to get you started in programming. The title says it’s the hard way to learn to write code, but it’s actually not. It’s only the “hard” way because it uses a technique called instruction.
Instruction is where I tell you to do a sequence of controlled exercises designed to build a skill through repetition.
This technique works very well with beginners who know nothing and need to acquire basic skills before they can understand more complex topics. It’s used in everything from martial arts to music to even basic math and reading skills.
learn python 3 the hard way pdf free download
This book instructs you in Python by slowly building and establishing skills through techniques like practice and memorization, then applying them to increasingly difficult problems.
By the end of the book, you will have the tools needed to begin learning more complex programming topics. I like to tell people that my book gives you your “programming black belt.” What this means is that you know the basics well enough to now start learning programming.
If you work hard, take your time, and build these skills, you will learn to code.
With the help of this book, you will do the incredibly simple things that all programmers do to learn a programming language:
- Go through each exercise.
- Type in each sample exactly.
- Make it run.
That’s it. This will be very difficult at first, but stick with it. If you go through this book and do each exercise for one or two hours a night, you will have a good foundation for moving on to another book. You might not really learn “programming” from this book, but you will learn the foundation skills you need to start learning the language.
This book’s job is to teach you the three most essential skills that a beginning programmer needs to know: reading and writing, attention to detail, and spotting differences.
learn python the hard way pdf content
Most importantly, you’ll learn the following, which you need to start writing excellent Python software of your own:
- Installing a complete Python environment
- Organizing and writing code
- Basic mathematics
- Strings and text
- Interacting with users
- Working with files
- Looping and logic
- Data structures using lists and dictionaries
- Program design
- Object-oriented programming
- Inheritance and composition
- Modules, classes, and objects
- Python packaging
- Automated testing
- Basic game development
- Basic web development
- It’ll be hard at first. But soon, you’ll just get it-and that will feel great!
learn python 3 the hard way pdf
If you are reading this book and flipping out at every third sentence because you feel I’m insulting your intelligence, then I have three points of advice for you:
- Stop reading my book. I didn’t write it for you. I wrote it for people who don’t already know everything.
- Empty before you fill. You will have a hard time learning from someone with more knowledge if you already know everything.
- Go learn Lisp. I hear people who know everything really like Lisp.
For everyone else who’s here to learn, just read everything as if I’m smiling and I have a mischievous little twinkle in my eye.